a record of and tales from my unextrordinary exploits

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Awake very early

I was up two hours earlier than usual this morning and arrived at the office at 6:30 AM to go to a press check in Asheville. Not that I should complain about working long hours because Ashley has me beat hands down for number of 10+ hour days. But he doesn't have to get up at an ungodly hour. Anywho, the press check went very well and I can't wait to see the finished product. It's a piece for a custom cabnitery maker and features lots of beautiful photos of kitchens. The tricky part is printing and faithfully replicating the wood tones. Which is complicated by the fact that I've never seen any of these kitchens in person and received multiple exposures from the photographer to piece together. So my goal was a pleasing color and they look 100 times better comming off the press than any of our proofs.

Now I get to go home and scrape out the bottom of my oven. I had kind of a bad cooking weekend. I attempted to make pound cake (twice) and it bubbled over into the bottom of the oven and didn't cook evenly or thuroughly and generally made a mess. The batter tasted great and I followed the recipe exactly so I'm not sure what went wrong. The main variable is the bundt pan. I got a silicone on which is rated to temperatures of 350 and I was cooking at 325. But I have a feeling it may be a combination of the pan and it being filled too full of batter . Or I may just be destined never to make a pound cake. The forces of the universe could be conspiring against me, you never know...

No comments: