a record of and tales from my unextrordinary exploits

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Changes at Work

Kevin, the other designer at Image, is leaving next week. That's what we all found out this week. I'm surprised because he's leaving for a non-design related job, a sales/manager position of all things. He's a very talented artist and I'm surprised that something like that would even interest him. Dana says he really hasn't worked anywhere else and my guess is that he's never had a crappy job and doesn't know how good he has it here. I mean, I've had some crappy jobs and lousy bosses and I know Image isn't a perfect place to work, but I still love it. You really have to realize that nothing in life, be it a job, relationship, party etc is never going to be 100% perfect, otherwise you'll never be staisfied. I'm not saying you should settle for pretty good, but you have to realize that great 90% of the time is a wonderful thing.

So now the search is on for a new designer to replace Kevin when he leaves. In the meantime, we may use some freelance designers until we find someone who is a good fit. Being a small company, we have to maintain the chemistry above all else. If we were to rush and hire someone who isn't a good fit, just to have a warm body at a desk it could really make things fall apart here. I have a friend, Sean, from college who is a designer, who is comming to interview on the 27th. I'm not sure if he would want to work in Shelby, but he might at least get some freelance work out of it. He is very talented and a nice guy in general. Last time I talked to him, he wasn't really happy with his job in Charlotte so maybe he is looking for a change. Either way, it will be nice to see him later this month.

Wedding Update:
My invites are at the printer. I'm hoping and praying they can go out in the mail next week. The RSVP enveopes are addressed and stamped and the outer envelopes are addressed. My custom photo stamps are coming in the mail next week too. My first shower is this weekend, thrown by Ashley's mom and I'm looking forward to a fun afternoon with all my friends and relations. My parents are even coming up so I'll get to spend some time with them.

1 comment:

Dalen said...

I am pretty sure that I have asked many times, but when is the wedding again? I am going to take a personal day if I am within 4 hours so I can come. I miss you and hope things are well.

--DAlen